1. Banishment -When someone is sentenced to be banished they no longer can contact members of Cosa Nostra. If they do it could mean there death.
2. Tie-In -An official crew meeting that is only for made men.
3. Connected -Someone not a full member of Cosa Nostra
4.Citizen -Someone not connected to a member of Cosa Nostra
5.The Commission -The national board of Cosa Nostra bosses. They meet every five years to discuss major mob issues and settle disputes between Cosa Nostra Families.
6. Vig - Interest paid to a loan shark usually six for every five borrowed.
7.Knockdown loans -Is what you still owe after the loan shark agrees you’ve paid enough interest. And that you pay after he says it’s a knockdown loan the principal you still owe him.
8.Administration - The upper level power structure of the Crime Family.
9. Associate- Someone who works with and for wiseguys , but who hasn’t been made a member of a Crime Family.
10. The Books - A euphemism for membership in a Crime Family since nothing is ever supposed to be written down. When there is an opening (when someone dies), the books are “opened.” when no one is being “made” the books are “closed“.
11. Broken - Demoted in rank or “knocked down”.
12. Button - A “made” member of a Crime Family.
13.Chased - To be banished from the Crime Family. And barred from associating or doing business with any made members on pain of death.
14. Cleaning -Taking steps to avoid being followed.
15. Clock- To keep track of someone’s movements.
16. Earner - Someone good at making money for himself and his Crime Family.
17. Made -To be inducted into Cosa Nostra , to be “straightened out”.
18. Empty Suit -Someone who has nothing to offer but tries to hang around
19. Omerta -The code of silence and premier vow taken. When being inducted by a Crime Family. It’s violation is punished by death.
20. On the record -An action approved by the Crime Family.
21. Off the record - An action taken without approval of the Crime Family.
22. Sit-Down - A meeting with the upper level bosses to settle disputes.
23. Vouch for - To tell others of someone’s good reputation. If they don’t live up to your word you and he will be killed.
24. Walk and Talk -To talk while walking to avoid eavesdropping.
25. Numbers - An illegal version of the lottery. And is determined by the last three digits of the day’s race track results.
26. Open City - Any Crime Family can operate in an “open city”.
27. A Point -Is the interest paid on a loan one point is two hundred dollars. You pay the interest until you pay of the loan or it becomes a “knockdown loan”.
28. To put on the shelf- Someone who is “retired”. Who no longer works in the Crime Family.
29. A Committee -A group of three to five made men when a vote is required to decide things as a representative of the whole Crime Family.